Technology is transforming care delivery. For POLST to be most beneficial and useful, the most recently completed POLST form needs to be immediately available when and where health care professionals need it to make treatment decisions and patients should be able to easily share their form with loved ones. This guide provides recommendations to help make this happen and discusses technological interoperability of POLST data nationwide, EHRs, registries and mobile technology. Thanks to our sponsors!
This guide is expected to be updated over time. If you see content that can be updated or is missing, please contact [email]firstname.lastname@example.org[/email].
NOTE: This work is protected by U.S. Copyright laws and is the property of National POLST. You may not distribute, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit this content, particularly to sell or offer it for sale.
Webinar Series (CE credit available)
April through October 2021, National POLST hosted a webinar series as an introduction to the various chapters of the POLST Technology Guide. Through the generosity of our partner, Seasons Hospice & Palliative Care, we were able to offer Continuing Education credits for RNs, LVNs, and social workers (available both live and also on demand when watching the recordings!). Many thanks to Seasons Hospice & Palliative Care for providing support for administering the CE credits and webinar platform. The 5-part webinar series included:
- Overview of the POLST Technology Guide Project.
- When someone dials 911: how EMS uses POLST orders.
- Interoperability: sharing POLST orders electronically across all systems.
- POLST registries: considerations for states.
- EHRs: how to advocate for POLST inclusion in patient workflows.
Please view these and all our webinars at our webinars page.
Thank you to our sponsors for their funding and support!
- The John A. Hartford Foundation
- Vynca Advance Care Planning
- California Health Care Foundation
- The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
- The Coalition to Transform Advanced Care
- The David and Lura Lovell Foundation
- Seasons Hospice & Palliative Care
- Colorado Regional Health Information Organization (CORHIO)
- Health-e-MedRecord / Medcordance