National POLST eNewsletters below highlight accomplishments, state and National POLST events, upcoming conferences and webinars, and specific national events. Click on any issue date to download, below. Want to receive the eNewsletter in your inbox? Subscribe now!
- National POLST Resources relating to COVID-19 at www.tomm138.sg-host.com/covid
- JAMA articles:
- The Importance of Advance Care Planning and DNR during COVID-19
- Framework for Rationing Ventilators and Critical Care Beds during COVID-19.
- Forum Topics:
- Verbal consent for POLST
- Use of DocuSign for POLST
- Maine second state to adopt the National POLST form
- Annual update of POLST resources
- JAMA: POLST and ICU Admission among patients hospitalized near the end of life
- Forum Topic: Third party payors/insurers as partners with state POLST coalitions?
- Sponsor National POLST!
- New York Times piece “CPR, by Default” mentions POLST
- Webinar on National POLST form available online
- Devil is in the Details: A case for POLST registries webinar available online
- Research: Reducing discrepancy between Code Status and POLST orders
- National POLST introduces new logo and branding
- Nursing home advance care planning program expands
- Webinar makes case for POLST registries
- Health care professionals’ understanding of DNR
- Do communication interventions help patients understand DNR?
- EMS World features hospice and POLST relevant article
- Register for upcoming webinar —The Devil is in the Details: A Case for POLST Registries
- Study investigates Goals of Care conversations in the seriously ill across 29 sites over 3 years.
- Forum Topic: Civil Monetary Penalty (CMP) funds — a unique opportunity for funding.
- States are starting to adopt the National POLST form.
- Webinar: Learn more about the National POLST form on Thursday, November 21.
- The National POLST map was updated in October.
- California’s POLST Electronic Registry Pilot: Lessons for all states.
- Forum Topic of the Month: POLST for patients receiving Department of Mental Health services.
- Inaugural National POLST Plenary Assembly held in May, 43 states represented
- First National POLST Form released
- Letter in support of artificial nutrition option on POLST forms published in Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
- Forum Topic: News about our communications grant.
- Multiple publications focus on POLST in various settings
- “POLST: Promise and Pitfalls in Skilled Nursing Centers,” by Karl Steinberg, MD, published in Provider magazine
- Article on POLST quality by Brazilian authors previewed in American Academy PC-FACS
- “Planning for the End of Life,” by Ray Fowler, MD, and Amy Vandenbroucke, JD, published in SAEM Pulse
- Multiple recent studies on ACP or POLST for the chronically ill who suffer traumatic injury
- A retrospective study by Dana Zive et al published in Prehospital Emergency Care
- Another study by Justin Kim et al, published in Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- A third study by Jessica Ballou et al published in Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery
- Webinar “Redesigning Patient Care Using eMOLST: One Health Care System’s Experience” by Christine Wilkins, PhD, LCSW
- Kimberly Paul, on Live Well Die Well tour, seeks contacts for cross-promotional efforts across the U.S.
- Brazilian Study on Interrater Reliability for POLST Orders published in JAMA Open Network.
- Forum Topic: Join the conversation!
- National POLST selected for Presidential Poster Session as American Geriatrics Society meeting
- Study published in Journal of Pain and Symptom Management: A tool to assess patient and surrogate knowledge of POLST
- Multiple National POLST resources updated, including maps, national program data
- Forum Topic: Learn about the Technology Consensus Project