POLST was created to fix the problems some seriously ill or frail people have with advance directives and Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders. POLST is:
- Part of advance care planning, which helps you live the best life possible
- A good talk with your provider about your medical condition, treatment options, and what you want
- A medical order that travels with you (called a POLST form)
A POLST form tells all health care providers during a medical emergency what you want:
- “Take me to the hospital” or “I want to stay here”
- “Yes, attempt CPR” or “No, don’t attempt CPR”
- “These are the medical treatments I want”
- “This is the care plan I want provided to me”
We encourage you to take control of your medical treatments by talking with your health care provider about advance care plans. Start by learning more about advance care planning.
Your state is likely helping set the POLST standards by being part of National POLST. For information about what is happening with POLST specifically where you are, get in touch with the POLST leaders in your state. You can find their contact information by clicking on your state at www.polst.org/map.
Finally, see what national organizations and companies support our work!