The Susan Tolle, MD Award for Outstanding Service is given to a POLST Paradigm member who epitomizes steadfast dedication and long-term service to promote the National POLST Paradigm and quality POLST Paradigm programs. This award honors Dr. Susan Tolle’s steadfast dedication and long-term service to developing the National POLST Paradigm. Through her leadership Dr. Tolle:
- Created a national movement for states to adopt National POLST Paradigm programs;
- Established the National POLST Paradigm Office, supporting it financially and administratively, and served as the National POLST Paradigm Task Force Treasurer for over nine years;
- Authored, conducted and advised on numerous POLST research initiatives;
- Mentored and supported state POLST Paradigm programs through research, educational tool development (including many videos), and spent countless hours providing specific technical assistance to POLST Paradigm leaders;
- Served on the National POLST Paradigm Task Force, including many subcommittees; and
- Tirelessly sought to preserve the integrity of the National POLST Paradigm.
The inaugural award was presented to Susan Tolle, MD at the 2016 National POLST Paradigm Conference in Chicago, Illinois on February 4, 2016.
Criteria for Award Recipient:
The recipient of the award is a person who has significantly advanced the National POLST Paradigm through leadership, research, education or policy contributions and who has served at least five cumulative years of service in an identified position on the National POLST Paradigm Task Force, on the Task Force Executive Committee (or future iterations of either group) or serving as a Chair of any Task Force Committee.
Kate O'Malley, RN, MS, CHPN, was recognized for her outstanding contributions to the National POLST Paradigm and presented an award in appreciation of, and recognition for, all her work in supporting the National POLST Paradigm at the 2016 National POLST Paradigm Conference in Chicago, Illinois on February 4, 2016. We greatly appreciate Ms. O'Malley and California HealthCare Foundation's support over the last five years.